Friday, April 9, 2010

Can I have a moment, please?

Well, tomorrow is the day! Drew will no longer be an only child, we will no longer only have one kid to care for, and I will no longer have time to shower or sleep or sit down or read a book or cook… the list goes on.

Ending pregnancy and starting a new chapter of motherhood comes with such a juxtaposition of emotions. I woke up this morning before Kyle and Drew (as I do most mornings), came downstairs, made myself a cup of tea, and thought about the moment. I love the mornings. I get up before the family and steal some quiet time just to myself to read or write or just catch a glimpse of Matt Lauer before Drew needs my attention (usually a very short glimpse since Drew wakes up at 7AM almost every day).

I realize my laid back morning routine is a luxury of being a stay-at-home mom and I love it. I don’t have to get up and shower or be at work by 7AM, like so many moms do. In fact, if I don’t have to get out of my pajamas until Drew and I have to go somewhere, I usually won’t.

My time in the morning adds to my happiness throughout the day and today was my farewell to it for the next few months. Happiness will be added to my life in a different way and I am excited/nervous/anxious for the change, but I will be looking forward to when I can have this time again. AND eventually, both kids will sleep through the night and in a far off month down the road, I will be able to get up at 6AM, grab my latest chick-lit novel, a cup of tea, and have some quiet time to myself before the house explodes with noise.

Change is wonderful, but on this morning the day before one of the biggest changes in my life, I want to pay homage to the moments throughout the day from which we gain our energy. They are important to the soul, mind, and body. If you are having a hard time finding those moments (as I will soon), let’s make a pact to seek them out. Grab a cup of coffee, find a quiet corner, and recharge… even if it is only for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment